Friday, May 3, 2013

Logger 2.0.0 Beta

Logger is a PL/SQL logging and debugging framework. It's used in many organizations to instrument code in their Oracle applications. Tyler Muth created Logger a few years ago and has since released several upgrades, the last being 1.4.0. 

After some great feedback, I'm pleased to announce that we've just launched  Logger 2.0.0 Beta. Please download it, install, and provide us with your feedback or any issues you encounter. If you installed the alpha version you'll need to do a complete uninstall and reinstall before using the beta version. The beta version will upgrade over 1.4.0.

The beta release includes some minor bug fixes and documentation updates. The major change is that the log_params procedure has been dropped (I had hinted that this may happen in my previous post). Instead, to remain consistent, a fourth parameter has been added to the major log procedures to support a parameters array. For more information, see the documentation regarding p_params.

If you have any feedback, suggestions, or issues please use the project's issues page. If you don't already have a GitHub account, you'll need to create one (it's free). If your curious as to the direction of this project, please look at the issues page and you'll see what we have planned and what others have requested.

This release will be the last major release before officially launching Logger 2.0.0. Once it's released I'd like to start working on some of the feature requests that have been suggested.

Special thanks to Mark Wagoner for helping test and provide some additional feedback on the latest release.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Martin - Logger looks very interesting and something I'll be looking into as a possible replacement to a proprietary application logging framework currently in use.

    Just wanted to point out what I think is a very small typo on the GitHub in the README.md file. The code in the "Best Practices" section includes the following:

    procedure demo_proc(
    ...
    as
    ...
    l_params logger.tab_param;
    begin
    ...
    logger.log('START', l_scope, null, l_paras);
    ...

    I believe the fourth parameter to the logger.log function should be 'l_params' instead of 'l_paras'? Just as I noticed it in passing thought you would want to correct :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I'm glad to hear that you'll be looking at leveraging Logger. One of the biggest advantages is that it's open source so if there's something you want to change you can either add to the project or customize it yourself.

      I appreciate you pointing out the typo. I've fixed the issue and pushed the change to the project page.

      Let me know how it goes.

      Martin

      Delete
  2. Martin,
    I was using 1.4 and have implemented 2.0 beta in my development work here in Virgina.. Trying to get my co-workers to try using it, but they are a little hesitant.. They are used to using the old debug.f functionality..

    I for one appreciate what you and Tyler are doing for the community....

    Thank you,

    Tony Miller
    Ruckersville, VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the link and it goes to page not found 404 error??

    ReplyDelete